Founded in 1874 the first committee consisted of five men – Alex Ramsay, James Farrell, M. Park, R. Aitken and J. Barrie.

People paid a subscription fee to become members of the club and such was the popularity of the venture by 1886 the club became a limited company, officially known as Greenock Morton Football and Athletic Club Limited.

The club had been founder members of Scottish Division Two in 1893-94.